One of my very favorite things about living in the country, is being able to walk a few steps out my back door, and find breakfast waiting for me. Out in the coop, I gently slip my hand underneath Penny and find three warm eggs — the girls have already been taking turns on the nest box this morning. I’ll come back later to check for more.
As I head back to the house I stop to snip a few stems of the bright green chives that I spy popping up in the flower bed behind the house. Surprisingly, a few small clumps of parsley have somehow managed to survive the winter in our raised garden beds — I add a few sprigs to my pocket.
Breakfast has come from my backyard!
In the house, I rinse and chop the freshly gathered herbs — they smell so good! The first ones I’ve used out of the garden since last fall. I crack two eggs and pour the whites into a small bowl — add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, a few tsp of water, and my herbs. Hmmm… something is missing. More color!
I rummage in the fridge and find a few baby carrots at the bottom of the crisper. One large one gets sliced thinly and added to a tsp of real salted butter that I’ve heated over medium heat in a small pan. It smells good already. After a minute passes, I add my fresh egg white and herb mixture. It takes just another minute for my fresh egg whites to cook into a beautiful scrambled dish.
I found a few whole wheat tortillas in the fridge when I was rummaging for the carrots — I heat it up in the same pan — first one side then flip it over to heat the other. The scrambled egg white mixture quickly goes on top of the tortilla. I carefully fold my egg whites inside — burrito style and flip the little brown bundle over so the heat from the pan seals my package together slightly.
When it’s just right, I slide my breakfast onto a cheery plate, add a few crunchy carrots and pour a cup of coffee. It is the best breakfast I’ve had in awhile — so fresh and tasting of Spring that I feel full of energy. One more bite and my backyard breakfast is gone :).
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 Tbs fresh chives, chopped
- ½ Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 – 2 tsp butter (or just use non-stick spray)
- 1 – 2 baby carrots sliced fine
- 1 6″ whole wheat tortilla
- In a small 6″ pan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the sliced carrot (or replace butter with non-stick spray). Cook, stirring once or twice, until just barely tender (about 1 minute).
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg whites, chopped chives & parsley, salt & pepper, and water.
- Add egg mixture to carrots. Let set up for a few second then gently scramble the whites until cooked through.
- Quickly remove to plate.
- In same skillet, place tortilla shell over med-high heat. Heat 30 seconds on one side then flip over. Add eggs to pan on top of tortilla and gently wrap up burrito style (fold bottom up first then fold sides over to form bundle).
- Gently flip bundle over, seam side down to finish heating through.
- Remove from pan and serve.