If like me, you love listening to music that has an old time feel, think 1920’s to the 1960’s, you may just want to pick up Emmy Rossum’s new album entitled Sentimental Journey. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to every song on this album. Each one is soulful and bluesy, the musical accompaniment is just smooth and classy — I love everything about this album!
Sentimental Journey represents Emmy’s 12-song ‘passion project’, created as an emotional musical journey. I love that the album takes us through an entire year, with each song representing a different month. In an article on EmmyRossum.com, Emmy explain why she chose to include certain songs on the album –
“Each song needed to either lyrically or emotionally reflect the corresponding month,” Emmy explained. “Some songs were obvious fits, like Summer Wind for June, and Pretty Paper for December. Others songs were less literal fits. I chose Nobody Knows You (When You’re Down and Out) for September because, to me, the plaintive melody and lyric emotionally reflect the cold weather creeping in and the sense of melancholy we can get in the fall months.”
Personally, I think she hit it right on for each month.
Of course, I do have some favorites such as “All I Do Is Dream Of You” — August, “I’ll Be With You In Apple Blossom” — May, and “Things” — November. I do think “Things” just might be my favorite of the entire album it has such a fun old country sound to it and reminds me of the old records we listened to when I was little. Though December’s “Pretty Paper”, originally sung by the awesome Willie Nelson, is a close second — I just can’t decide!
Emmy has such a unique and beautiful sound that goes so well with the classic American Songbook covers on her new album. I also adore the vintage vignettes Emmy shot to go along with the album. They are just gorgeous! Take a peek at the “These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)” Music Video to see what I mean!
26 year old Emmy certainly is a girl of many talents! Along with her soulful singing and starring role alongside William H. Macy in the Showtime television series Shameless, Emmy Rossum will also be appearing with Emma Thompson and Viola Davis in the upcoming feature film Beautiful Creatures, coming to theaters February 13th.
Sentimental Journey track list
- “Sentimental Journey” (Les Brown, Ben Homer, Arthur Green)
- “The Object Of My Affection” (Pinky Tomlin)
- “I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover” (Mort Dixon, Harry M. Woods)
- “These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)” (Eric Maschwitz, Jack Strachey)
- “(I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time” (Albert Von Tilzer, Neville Fleeson)
- “Summer Wind” (Heinz Meier, Johnny Mercer)
- “Many Tears Ago” (Winfield Scott)
- “All I Do Is Dream Of You” (Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed)
- “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Jimmy Cox)
- “Autumn Leaves” (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert)
- “Things” (Bobby Darin)
- “Pretty Paper” (Willie Nelson)
- Bonus Track: “Keep Young and Beautiful” (Harry Warren, Al Dubin)
Where to buy and how to stay in touch!
I’ll be listening to my CD again and again, it’s especially soothing background music for my writing days! Emmy Rossum’s new album Sentimental Journey was released on January 29, 2013. You’ll find it available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon.com. To keep up with Emmy, check out @emmyrossum on Twitter and emmyrossum.com.