I had a chilly feeling all day today and sure enough right around the time Super G. arrived home from work, it had started to snow. It is still snowing . We already have over an inch of the fluff all over everything once again and it’s still snowing like crazy. Yuck! Snow makes me hungry.
Hungry for soup.
I didn’t have time to make anything elaborate and was upset to find there was no chicken broth left in the cupboard. I had to get inventive with what I found after digging in the freezer. This soup won’t win any trophies but it sure tasted good and comforting on a cold spring evening.
The saltiness of the ham and the sweetness of the vegetable blend combines perfectly with creamy milk. Comfort Food!
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 ham steak, in ½" cubes
- 2½ cups Schwan's Mini Bow Tie Pasta and Vegetable Blend
- 1 can 99% fat free Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1½ cans of water, divided
- 1 Tbs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In large pot saute onion and celery in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Add in ham cubes and saute over medium heat until heated through and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a covered microwave safe bowl, cook Mini Bow Tie Pasta and Vegetable blend for 3 minutes on high. Set aside.
- Into sauteed ham mixture, stir in cream of chicken soup, bay leaf, parsley and pepper. Slowly stir in evaporated milk and 1 soup can of water until well combined.
- Bring up to a simmer and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors.
- Add the mini bow tie pasta and vegetable blend and gently stir to combine.
- Stir in the additional ½ soup can of water now if soup is too thick. Simmer just until heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese.