When I recently tried the new mini BBQ Bagel Crisps from New York Style, I knew that I had to try coating chicken with them! The delicious BBQ crisps have a nice smoky sweet flavor that is so much nicer than plain old breadcrumbs!
As I began to gather my BBQ Baked Chicken ingredients, I was upset to see that my camera battery was dead, ugh! Desperate to take some photos to share for this recipe post, I quickly searched the Google Play store on my new Galaxy S III for a decent photo app. I LOVE the free UCam app that I found, it has an image stabilizer and a bunch of other great options to help me enhance my photos! It’s so nice to finally have a phone that is capable of taking photos that are good enough to post!
On with the recipe! Somehow, I didn’t take a photo of the crushing of the Bagel Chips! That first step is simple enough, just put your crisps into a baggie and use a rolling pin to crunch, crunch, crunch them all up into tiny crumbs. Or, you could use your food processor, if you aren’t too lazy to drag it out of the cupboard.
Not that I know anyone like that.
After you have your bagel crisps all crunched, you’ll want to put them into a shallow dish or pan. Into another shallow pan, pour your buttermilk (or substitute a mixture of vineger and regular milk if you have no buttermilk).
Several different herbs would go well with this recipe — thyme, sage, cilantro. I love fresh rosemary and try to use it in everything that I make so that’s what I grabbed from the garden.
Guess what else I forgot to take a picture of? The chicken!
You’ll want to pound your chicken breasts flat, don’t pulverize them, just put them into a bag, seal it up and give them a good whack or two to make them even all the way across. Then, you cut them into 2 inch strips and put them into your pan of buttermilk to soak for ten to twenty minutes.
The Bagel Crisps already have salt but I added a pinch of Sea Salt… just because.
A little paprika for added color and a pinch of pepper is nice as well. Very simple, yet oh so good! After your crumbs and seasonings are mixed up — pick up each chicken strip with a fork, let a bit of the excess buttermilk drip off before you plop it into the crumb mixture.
Flip the chicken over and get it thouroughly coated before placing onto a foil lined sheet that’s been sprayed with a bit of non-stick cooking spray.
We like ours served with fresh buttered corn and sour cream smashed potatoes. While the coating didn’t get as crunchy as I thought it would, it was absolutely delicious! the flavors were sweet and mild but definitely yummy!
- 1½ - 2 lbs chicken
- 2 cups crushed BBQ flavored Bagel Crisps
- 1 TBS fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- pinch of fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crush Bagel Crisps to the size of breadcrumbs. Place into a shallow dish for dredging.
- Into a large bowl, pour buttermilk.
- Trim chicken. Place each breast in a heavy duty baggie and gently pound to even ½" thickness, using a rolling pin.
- Cut each breast into long 2 inch wide strips. Place chicken strips into buttermilk and let soak for 10-20 minutes.
- Line a large rimmed sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Lift each strip out of buttermilk and let drain slightly. Dredge in crumb mixture, patting and turning to evenly coat strip. Place on prepared sheet.
- Bake chicken strips 20 - 30 minutes or until no pink remains.
If you have no buttermilk - substitute it with 2 Tbs vinegar poured into measure, then fill to 2 cup line with milk. stir well. It may clump up a bit but it will work!