The other day I had a pile of overripe bananas sitting on the counter. I remembered seeing a recipe for buttermilk banana bread on Penelopesoasis.com that sounded quick and delicious so I printed it out and whipped it up! I made a few adjustments to the already perfect recipe, it turned out so well that I had to share it with you! Be careful if you decide to try this, or the original, recipe. It is quite addictive! Our family ate the whole pan in one night *blushes*.
Packed with bananas and white whole wheat flour, the thick batter turns into a dense, nutty bread that is amazing plain, or topped with a pat of sweet cream butter.
*recipe adapted from penelopesoasis.com
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups Gold Medal white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ - 1 Tbs Chia seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 Tbs white vinegar
- 5 large very ripe bananas
- Preheat toaster oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9"x9" square baking dish.
- In small cup, mix together the milk & vinegar, set aside.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugars until well blended and fluffy.
- In large bowl, mash the bananas and add the Add eggs, vanilla, chia seeds and buttermilk mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into the banana mixture until well combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated toaster oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.