One of the most important things we can do as parents is to make sure our children lead active healthy lives. For many of us, it’s fairly easy to make sure our children have active play time at home with outdoor activities, walks and by playing games like Frisbee and basketball in the driveway.
What about the children who don’t have these opportunities because they have little or no yard space available, or parents who have long hours to work. All children should be able to exercise their bodies, as well as their minds, each day they are at school. Especially important for younger children, recess time is a time to meet and make friends, run off some steam and just enjoy being active during the day.
As a parent who knows how important school recess is socially, physically and emotionally, I was shocked by some statements I found while looking up recess facts:
- In the past twenty years, children have lost an average of 8 hours of recess a week.
- According to the American Academy of Pediatricians, the lack of play time is a national crisis leading to a growing epidemic: childhood obesity.
- Some schools have banished recess because they’re concerned about the injuries and lawsuits that can arise from outdoor play.
I find this extremely sad! At our own school, recess is a part of the day that my daughter, and most teachers and children, look forward to. Just that short break in the day lets everyone relax for a few moments and enjoy moving around and visiting with friends before getting back to business.
Danimals knows how important recess is to kids and parents too, that’s why Dannon Danimals is committed to childhood health and wellness, which starts with good nutrition and an active lifestyle. Rally for Recess is a national initiative that was designed to create a healthy competition, pitting school against school. Five schools will have the opportunity to win a new $20,000 playground makeover and an all-day recess celebration! How awesome is that!
How can you get involved? Now through February 8, 2012, look for the codes on Danimals packaging to enter and register at RallyForRecess.com. The top school in each of five categories with the most codes registered wins! Get your friends and neighbors involved and make them aware of this great opportunity.
Share the Rally For Recess campaign with these fun Facebook and Twitter buttons. Then scroll down to enter to win a prize pack that will help your kids stay active.
This giveaway is now over – Winner Announced
Thanks to Danimals you can enter to win a Rally For Recess prize pack! WooHoo!
The prize pack includes:
- 5 in 1 Outdoor Game Set: This 31 piece set includes a volleyball / badminton net with four pegs and eight posts, two badminton racquet’s and two shuttle cocks, inflatable volleyball, four plastic horseshoes (two yellow, two purple) and two plastic stakes, a pump (with needle).
- Full Size Soccer Ball: Wilson Premium Synthetic Leather Socccer Balls (Size 5) regulation size with 32 panels.
How to Enter: (mandatory)
Leave me a comment telling me what your (or your child’s) favorite recess memory is! So Easy!
Extra Entries: (optional)
Please leave a new comment, with links if applicable, for each extra entry to be counted.
- Like A Hen’s Nest on Facebook
- Like Danimals on Facebook
- Subscribe to A Hen’s Nest via email, be sure to confirm! (+ 2 comments)
- Follow A Hen’s Nest with Google Friend Connect
- Follow @ahensnest on Twitter and tweet this giveaway (once daily)
You can use this tweet or the RT button at top or bottom of post: Rally for Recess with Danimals and your school could win a $20k playground makeover! #Giveaway http://goo.gl/b9Unj
Rules: Follow the directions above! Giveaway open to U.S. residents, 18+ only and ends September 23rd, 11:59 est. Winner will be randomly chosen via “And The Winner Is…” plugin, posted on my Winner’s List, and contacted by email. Winner must reply to notification email within 48 hours or I will redraw :(.