The Oceanology Handbook: A Course For Underwater Explorers
By Professor Pierre Aronnax
From Press Release: “Explore the ocean’s wonders, real and . . . imagined? Dive into this essential handbook to discover some lesser-known secrets of the sea.
Among the book’s special features:
– four pages of stickers featuring sea creatures, ships, treasure, and diving equipment
– activities for the reader on nearly every spread
– a pull-out letter from Professor Aronnax to Zoticus
– a removable Beaufort scale chart of the winds — an indispensable resource for seafarers! “
The Oceanology Handbook is a beautiful book filled with interesting facts, gorgeous imagery and the peaceful colors of the ocean. We have several other “Ology” books that were bought at our school’s book fair and we have always enjoyed reading them over ad over. There is so much information in each book but it isn’t overwhelming. The books are written in easy to digest chapters that are dotted with notes and observations from the “professor”. It is a fun way to learn something new and a great way to get the kids thinking.
Pie loved learning morse code and writing secret messages for me to decode! I like that almost every page has an “Activity” box to encourage a deeper understanding of the chapters.
A book that you and your child can go back to again and again, it gives you a nice starting point to see which parts of ocean history your child might like to learn more about. I think this book would make a wonderful gift for either a boy or girl. Any of the wonderful Ology books would.
Buy It! The Oceanology Handbook: A Course For Underwater Explorers (Ologies) will be available for purchase July 13, 2010 at Amazon.com, Candlewick.com and other online and offline book retailers.
Win It! Thanks to Candlewick Press one very lucky reader is going to win a copy of The Oceanology Handbook! How to Enter: (mandatory) Visit Candlewick Press’s site and then come back and leave me a comment with another book you’d like to read! Extra Entries: (optional) Please leave a new comment, with links if applicable, for each extra entry to be counted.
- Vote for my Trampoline entry! (+ 2 entries!)
- Follow A Hen’s Nest with Google Friend Connect
- Like Candlewick Press on Facebook – tell them I sent ya!
- Like A Hen’s Nest on Facebook / Networked Blogs (+1 each)
- Follow @ahensnest and @candlewick on Twitter and tweet this giveaway (daily tweet!)
Use the retweet button or copy this tweet: I entered to #win The Oceanology Handbook #giveaway from @ahensnest & @Candlewick http://bit.ly/dwmtxa PLS RT!
- Blog about it with a link back to this post
- Subscribe (and confirm) to my blog via reader/email
Rules: Follow the directions above! Giveaway open to U.S. residents, 18+ only and ends July 24th, 11:59 est. Winner chosen by Random.org and must reply to email within 48 hours or I will redraw.