I have had such a craving for fresh spring vegetables lately! And no wonder since we’ve been having beautiful weather and Pinterest is overflowing with bright and colorful dishes featuring a variety of Spring’s bounty! A few weeks ago, I saw a bacon wrapped asparagus recipe over on FabGrandma’s blog. My mouth instantly began to water as I thought about how delicious that combination must taste! So, when Pie and I were at our local farmer’s market on Saturday, I grabbed a pound of the tender young spears that they had resting in a bowl of cool water, with the thought of making my own.
I also picked up a few big red sweet peppers and bacon at the local meat market (besides the other fresh veggies and fruit that Pie and I loaded into our basket). These bacon wrapped asparagus and red pepper bundles couldn’t be simpler to make. A bit of olive oil, sea salt and pepper, pop them in the oven and you’re good to go!
We served our baked asparagus bundles alongside baked sweet potatoes and pan-seared local grass fed beef steak — it was an amazing dinner and I was shocked that both kids and the veggie-hating hubby ate (and enjoyed) the asparagus bundles!
- 1 lb fresh young asparagus stalks
- 1 large red sweet pepper
- 1 lb hickory smoked bacon
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Rinse asparagus and trim bottom ½" from stalks.
- Cut red pepper into 8 slices, lengthwise.
- Separate asparagus spears into bundles of two to three, place one pepper slice onto each.
- Starting from bottom, wrap a piece of bacon tightly around spears and pepper, ending about halfway, add another slice and continue wrapping, leaving tip of spears visible.
- Repeat with remaining bundles.
- Place on parchment lined sheet, so they are not touching.
- Drizzle olive oil over bundles and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes, then turn on broiler and broil for 5, or until bacon is as crisp as you like.
- Serve warm.