The Spring 2012 issue of Eating Light – 400 Calories or Less! proves that eating healthy can be so delicious! This Hearst Magazine special edition bookazine is packed full of 103 easy recipes that all come in at 400 calories or less per serving! I’ve never seen one of these magazines before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Oh my goodness!
Page after page is just all of the comfort foods and favorite snacks that I love — only they are the slimmed down versions. I won’t feel guilty if I indulge! There are sticky buns (drool!), Chicken & Dumplings, pastas, Beef & Beer Stew, healthier Fried Chicken, Bake Sale Brownies, strawberry pie and so many more! The best part is that all of the recipes use common ingredients. Eating Light is a cookbook that I know my whole family will enjoy.
Besides the slimmed down breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert recipes, you’ll also find other ways to makeover your everyday food choices.
- reorganize the fridge so you’ll automatically reach for foods to help you lose weight!
- revamp your diet with 16 easy substitutions that could mean losing 30lbs this year!
- resist menu temptation when you eat out or order in!
7-Layer Dip Recipe
100 Calories per serving (makes 12 appetizer servings)
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. no-salt-added chili powder
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 oz. reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 ½ oz. low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Baked tortilla chips (optional)
- In large bowl, combine tomatoes, green onion, garlic, jalapeno, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1.4 teaspoon salt.
- In 8-inch skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden, stirring. Add chili powder; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; add beans, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Mash until almost smooth.
- In bowl, with fork, mash avocado, cilantro, remaining lime juice, and ⅛ teaspoon salt until almost smooth.
- In 1 ½ quart straight-sided bowl, spread bean mixture in even layer. Top with corn and bell pepper. Spread sour cream and then salsa over vegetables. Dollop avocado mixture over salsa; spread into even layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Want more? I’ve also shared the Eating Light — 400 Calories or Less Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto Recipe and the Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe! Yum! Eating Light — 400 Calories or Less can be purchased at your local supermarket or bookstore today, or buy a digital version at Zinio.com or Nook.bn.com. At $9.99 you can’t go wrong!