There is really no way to sugar coat it, so I’ll come right out and say it – Lice can be a parent’s worst nightmare! With the kids back in school, it’s no big wonder why September is National Lice Awareness Month.
Personally, as a parent, I would much rather use preventative measures to keep lice away rather than spending untold hours and too much money trying to battle them. There’s no better time to brush up on Lice Prevention tips, here are a few that are easy to do:
Lice Prevention Tips
- Make sure your children know to never share hats, scarves, pillows, combs & brushes, towels, helmets or hair decorations with their friends. Lice can survive off of the head for 24 – 36 hours!
- Keep longer hair in a braid or ponytail to make it harder for hair to come into contact with infested surfaces.
- Don’t wash your hair every day! Research has shown that lice prefer clean hair! Wash hair every other day to allow build up of natural oils, which will make it more difficult for lice to latch on.
- Use hair products that have natural lice repellents in them such as rosemary oils, citronella oil and tea tree oil.
- Get in the habit of doing a weekly head check underneath a bright light, especially for children ages 3 – 11. Check the hot spots located at the nape of neck, behind the ears and near part lines first. (If a gray or white speck is hard to remove, it may be a nit and not dandruff)
You can also check out Fairy Tales Hair Care’s new iPhone App, “The Facts of Lice“. The free App can help you keep your family lice free all year with real time alerts for your local area, as well as provide you with valuable lice prevention info and tips.
And of course, the best way to keep your home lice-free, is to prevent them from being attracted to your children hair in the first place! The Rosemary Repel hair care collection, from Fairy Tales Hair Care, is one product that can give parents peace of mind when it comes to protecting their children from lice and other insects. Rosemary Repel hair products are an all-natural and organic solution. The line includes several products for multi-level protection. We received a package that included a bottle each of Rosemary Repel Shampoo, Rosemary Repel Conditioner, Rosemary Repel Leave-In Conditioning Spray, and Rosemary Repel Spray and Shield Hairspray.
After using these products for a few weeks, we are very pleased with them. Thankfully we haven’t had any reason to believe we NEED to be using a lice repellent, my thought is that prevention cannot hurt though! Each bottle contains natural ingredients such as pure rosemary, citronella, tea tree, cinnamon, geranium, anise, and lavender oils. They are all Paraben and SLS free and devoid of harsh chemicals so are safe for everyday use.
The leave in conditioner spray seems to be the most essential one of the bunch, if you are only going to get one, get that. Fairy Tales says that it is:
Proven to be over 92% effective when used alone and nearly 100% effective when combined with our other Rosemary Repel lice prevention products.
Wow! I have to say the smell alone is worth using the Rosemary Repel line. I am in love with the way all of them smell, the Creme Conditioner is my favorite though, it smells SO good. It even makes me feel like I’m out in the garden picking fresh herbs, yep, it smells that fresh and natural! I’ve been using it myself :). I was very happy to see that the conditioner and shampoo are nice and thick, not runny at all. This is nice because it means that I can’t accidentally pour out way more than we need and waste the product. Did I mention how good it smells? While you might think that the products are a bit pricey, they really should last your child for quite some time. I can’t think of a safer, or more convenient way, to prevent head lice, especially in younger children.
Purchase It: Fairy Tales hair Care products can be purchased at www.fairytaleshaircare.com. Shampoo, Creme Conditioner and Leave-In Conditioning Spray are available in 32 oz. bottle ($24.95 – $29.95), 12 oz. bottle ($10.95), and 2 oz travel bottle ($2.95) sizes. Spray and Shield Hairspray and Gel are both available in 8 oz bottles ($10.95).
Connect: You can also keep up to date with sales, news and updates by following Fairy Tales Hair Care on Facebook and Twitter, @fairytalesinc.