How I’m ever going to lose weight when I am compelled to make things like this is beyond me. Looking through a stack of old cookbooks I ran across my 1978 edition of Family Circle “Breads and Sweet Rolls”, Heaven help me. Walnut Stickies practically leapt off the page and screamed eat me.
So I did.
Not the page, the ones I made with a loaf of frozen bread dough.
They even look good raw.
Tell me that you can resist them, go ahead… your willpower is stronger than mine if you can.
Whip these up for your family right now, they will give you sticky kisses after you’re all done licking your plates clean of the ambrosial syrup. They’re super easy I promise!
- 1 loaf Frozen Bread dough, thawed
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 Tbs butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 9 inch round cake pan or 8x8 square pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, cinnamon, orange rind, and salt. Stirring constantly, heat to boiling. Then continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, or until it starts to thicken slightly. Pour half of the syrup into bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Reserve remaining syrup.
- In small bowl mix together the ¼ cup of sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- Pat or roll thawed dough out into an approx 12" x 16" rectangle, gently stretching to shape. Pour melted butter over dough and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Starting at long side, roll dough towards other side, gently stretching to keep shape as you go. Pinch end of long side into roll gently to hold together.
- Cut roll into 16 slices using a sharp knife, and place cut side down on top of syrup and walnuts. Cover lightly and allow to rise in a warm place for 15-25 minutes or until slightly puffed.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and gently spread remaining syrup over buns. return to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and place serving platter over rolls in pan. Using potholders, carefully and quickly invert both pan and platter. Gently lift pan off of rolls and allow syrup to drip down sides. Refrain from licking it.
- Eat them while they're warm, or pop into the microwave for a few seconds to reheat!