This post brought to you by Libby’s. All opinions are 100% mine.
I’m not sure why, but we used to always reserve pumpkin for holiday and winter time baking. No more! Pumpkin is delicious any time of year!
Not only does Libby’s Pumpkin Puree taste delicious, it’s also a versatile superfood that adds amazing flavor to both sweet and savory dishes.
Pumpkin is packed with Beta Carotene, adds extra fiber and Vitamin A to foods, plus it’s one of my favorite vegetables – the bright orange color and smooth taste is a compliment to main, side or dessert recipes.
Easy Ways to Use Pumpkin year- Round
So, what are some easy ways to incorporate pumpkin into your menu year-round? Check these tips out:
- For a great boost of boost of fiber, Vitamin A and added flavor — stir 2 Tbs of pumpkin into oatmeal, smoothies, macaroni and cheese, pudding, hot chocolate, instant mashed potatoes or jarred pasta sauce.
- Add pumpkin to store-bought pancake or waffle mix for great flavor!
- Replace one egg in a recipe wth 1/4 cup of Libby’s Pumpkin to cut fat, cholesterol and calories.
- Replace half the butter in a recipe with pumpkin to cut fat.
- Replace the oil in baked goods and brownie mixes with pumpkin for added nutrition.
There are so many other ways to use Libby’s Pumpkin! If you need some inspiration — make sure to visit Pumpkin Can, for great year-round pumpkin recipes, info and substitution ideas.
Now, I’ll admit when I was challenged to come up with a non-seasonal recipe using Libby’s Pumpkin — I was a bit stumped at first. At least, I was stumped until I saw a huge bag of fresh kale at the grocery store.
I am so excited to share my delicious pumpkin recipe idea for this tasty veggie! With bright green kale, savory sage and sweet hickory bacon all complimenting the smoothness of a creamy pumpkin sauce — I think your family will enjoy this meal any time of year!
- 1 lb your favorite pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 strips thick-sliced bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 c Kale, washed and chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1½ Tbs fresh Sage, chopped
- 15oz can Libby's Pumpkin
- 1½ c Half & Half
- ½ tsp Sea Salt, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp Pepper, freshly ground
- Cook Pasta according to package instructions. drain well.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In bacon grease, saute garlic and green onions until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add kale and saute until Kale is tender and wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, half & half, sage, salt and pepper. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer 2-3 minutes, until sauce is heated through and smooth.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Place pasta in serving dish and top with reserved bacon and 1 Tbs green onion tops.
Also, if you’re worried about using up a whole can at once – don’t be! You can easily portion and freeze leftover pumpkin, to easily add to your recipes whenever you wish.
If you love Libby’s Pumpkin as much as our family does, visit Pumpkin Can and let the world know by using the #PumpkinCan hashtag on your social media sites, for a chance to win weekly prizes. You can also visit Libby’s on Facebook, Libby’s on Twitter and Libby’s on Pinterest, for even more recipes and fun facts about pumpkin.
What is your favorite off-season use of pumpkin?