I hadn’t had twice baked potatoes in years so when the thought crossed my mind to make them last weekend, I couldn’t resist. Honestly, you could throw pretty much whatever you want in to these and they would still taste delicious. I’ve seen them made with broccoli, ham, hard boiled eggs, spinach and all sorts of other things stirred into the potato mixture.
Me? I’m a simple girl and these yummy basic potatoes are a side dish that reminds me of home. Hope you enjoy!
if my step-sis happens to see this picture: Why yes! Yes, that IS your plate that you left here months and months ago. I heart it but swear to you that someday I’ll remember to return it!
- 7 medium potatoes - scrubbed
- 1 c sour cream
- ¼ cup butter
- 1¼ c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese + ¼ c reserved
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 TBS fresh parsley - chopped
- 2 TBS fresh chives - minced
- 1 TBS fresh rosemary - minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ lb bacon - cooked crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover jellyroll pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Poke potatoes with a fork several times and place on microwave proof plate. Cook on high for about 10 - 20 minutes (depending on your microwave), turning over halfway through, until potatoes are tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Carefully slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the potato pulp out of each half, making sure to leave enough to form a shell.
- In a large bowl, combine the scooped out potato pulp, sour cream, butter and 1¼ cups shredded cheese. Mash well until as smooth as you like (we like ours a bit lumpy). Add in enough of the milk to get the right "mashed potatoes" consistency.
- Stir in the parsley, chives, rosemary, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- You can either stir the bacon into all of the mixture, or make half bacon - ½ meatless for friends who don't like bacon.
- Top each potato with a sprinkle of cheese usng the reserved ¼ cup.
- Place filled potato halves on prepared pan and place in preheated oven.
- Bake 25 - 35 minutes, until potatoes are heated through and cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Serve hot!