When I recently reviewed Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce I knew that it would make a tasty meatloaf. I combined my usual go-to meatloaf recipe and the meatloaf recipe found in The Original Country Bob’s Cookbookto make a delicious dinner last week. It made enough for our family of 4 to have dinner two nights in a row. For the first we sliced it and served with crispy baked potatoes, green beans and roll. The next night we served open-faced meatloaf sandwiches with mashed potatoes, brown gravy and corn. YUM! Try it, you’ll love it!
- 2 thick slices 12-grain bread, ¼" cubes
- ¼ c milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion, minced fine
- ¾ c Country Bob All-Purpose Sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbs dried parsley (1/4 c fresh)
- ¼ tsp dried thyme (1/2 tsp fresh)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced fine
- 1 large carrot finely grated (about ⅓ c packed)
- ½ c old fashioned oats
- 2 lb extra lean ground beef (we use local beef for best flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line square casserole dish with heavy duty aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray (for easy clean-up).
- In large bowl, pour milk over bread cubes and toss to moisten. Stir in egg, minced onion, ½ cup Country Bob Sauce, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, garlic and carrot. Really mix it up with a fork to mush the bread. Add oats.
- Crumble ground beef into bread mixture and use hands to thoroughly combine all ingredients. Mixture should be moist but not runny, it will be firm enough to hold together when shaped. If it's too runny add up to ¼ cup more oats or cubed bread.
- Divide meat mixture into 4 even balls, shape each ball into an oblong mini meatloaf and place into prepared pan leaving ½" space between loaves.
- Drizzle remaining ¼ cup of Country Bob sauce over loaves, sprinkle with a bit more parsley and pop into the hot oven.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until well done throughout and no pink remains.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
Optional stir-in ideas: ¼ cup of leftover bacon (crisp), ¼ c minced bell pepper or drained roasted red pepper, ¼ cup leftover corn or wild/brown rice.
Lightly oil scrubbed baking potatoes with olive oil and bake on the rack along side the meatloaves for a yummy side dish. Serve them piping hot with butter, sour cream or plain yogurt and fresh minced chives or green onions.
Cold meatloaf makes the best sandwiches ever!